Missed a PTSA meeting, but would like to know what was discussed? Here's where you'll find the minutes!
(updated within a few days of the meetings)
Madrona PTSA Meeting minutes -
August 15, 2018, 6:30 pm -7:45 pm
Present: Megan Hochstatter, Nathan Hoerschelmann, Anne Rakunas, Amy Cohen, Sarah Kent, Sharon Safarik, Mariana Zantop, Julie Riccio, Adam Rakunas, Jen Siems, Chris Tschirgi, Brian DePlace, Scott Corwin, Crystal Perkins Ahmadi, Anna Chan, Carina Contarini, Dan Story, Meg Viera, Ginger Culver, Megan Squires, Jaclyn Koenig, Denis Koenig, Michele Andrasik, Andrea Taylor, Graham Kent, Ian Speitel, Nichelle Mize, Jen Younggren
Intro to Launch
● Carina, program director, made introductions of herself as new Director and to the Launch Program.
● Brought fliers, info about before/after care program & holidays
● Goal as a director – build relationship with school – to continue to build a support that the school needs
Teacher Turnover/End of year Reflection/Looking Forward
Read letter of Principal McDaniel – copy of letter available on request. Please contact: email@example.com
● All vacant staff positions have been filled
● 1st-5th grade families will know their teacher assignments at Back to School BBQ, Kindergarten assignments at end of Jump Start
● August 27th, paid teacher professional development
● Working with Terrell Dorsey for staff training, student support, 5 supportive staff
● Victoria Romero –
○ Professional Development resource: Building Resilience in Students Impacted by Adverse Childhood Experiences
○ principal mentorship and staff professional development
● Teacher planning time allotment – morning planning, 40 min lunch, no recess coverage, 10 min teacher breaks, PTSA appreciation events and efforts
● Full time counselor
● Paid August planning time, new teachers receive $200 from PTSA + $200 from principal for supplies
● Goal of school year – that all voices are heard and represented.
Information for parents on how to express concerns, both with issues of last year and potential future concerns
● First, families should always feel comfortable to approach Principal McDaniel with concerns or comments about the school
● If parents feel their concerns are not being addressed, then a parent can reach out to Madrona’s District Contact: Kim Whitworth, Executive Director of Schools Support Team 1; firstname.lastname@example.org ; 206.252.0103
Moving forward – open forum
a. Ideas to cultivate a positive/supportive environment
b. Methods to stay in tune with teachers
c. Work along with Principal McDaniel to change culture
● As a school and PTSA we must continue to be positive, welcoming, inclusive –to ALL families, teachers, Staff, Admin
● Parents represented at the meeting expressed positive experiences – kids seem to have had a great experience last and were unaware of underlying issues
● Parent: what supports can we instill to keep the teachers at the school? How can we enable them to be happy and satisfied; help them not to get them to burn out?
○ PTSA response– PTSA plans to ramp up and formalize the room parent role, make it more explicit with roles and duties. A part of that role will be more proactive and funneling potential areas of teacher needs or support deficiencies back to PTSA. Room parent goal– to be reliable to teacher and express teacher-specific needs. Get involved!
● Continuation of Teacher Appreciation program – luncheons (parents to volunteer), weekly coffee drawings, monthly teacher appreciation
● School will be starting different this year, on a better foot – fully staffed front office, Terrell Dorsey--restorative justice program & training, Victoria Romero training
● Parent: How do we be more a part of the solution? How do we stay connected on what is going on/what are the needs? There needs to be more transparent communication of issues/happenings – not just word of mouth and social media threads
● Some expressed concerns of toxic work environment
○ Will a fully staffed admin help with the communication between admin and staff? Parents are hopeful
○ Positive hope of Best Start for Kids grant and changes addressed in Principal McDaniel’s letter
○ More formal way for teachers to communicate with PTSA
■ Periodic meetings?
■ Room parent?
■ Ask them how they [teachers] want to communicate –
■ PBIS team…still happening?
■ BLT (Building Leadership Team)– PTSA presence?
After school program
Due to time, After School Program was only briefly addressed
● Still looking to hire a Director and three Support Staff
● PTSA stance: The program will be happening, even if ran by parent committee at first. Will start September 24th.
o Playground Finishing Work Party #1 on Thur, 8/16 at 5-8pm
o Spruce up the School Painting Party on Sun, 8/19 at 12-4pm
o Back to School BBQ on Wed, 8/29 at 5-7:30pm
o Playground Finishing Work Party #2 on Sat, 9/8 10am-2pm.
Minutes from August 15, 2018 - click here for a PDF
Minutes from May 2, 2018 - click here for a PDF
Minutes from March 7, 2018 - click here for a PDF
Minutes from February 7, 2018 - click here for PDF
Minutes from January 3, 2018 - click here for a PDF
Minutes from December 6, 2017 - click here for a PDF
Minutes from November 1, 2017 - click here for a PDF
Minutes from October 4, 2017 - click here for a PDF
meeting minutes Before October 2017 are available at our old site: madronapantherpartners.org